Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hot and Sweaty!

That's how I feel this week! Our rain stopped a couple weeks ago and ever since it has been so hot! It used to feel so good to get up and run in the mornings. but now even getting up with the sun it is hot. It never really cools off at night. This can take a lot of a person. And today at 2 we are planning on heading over to Savan Plat to help them with a road project in lieu of an English class. It gets downright nasty picking, shoveling and hoeing in 94 degree weather. But we will survive and drink lots of water- and eat lots of mangoes! Mango season is coming off nicely. We have gotten several gifts, or payments, of our favorite kind of mangoes lately. Other than eating them plain I have made jelly, cut a gallon up for freezing, made juice with mangoes and milk and now I am working on drying some in our solar oven. Yesterday for lunch Delores made mango cobbler. So we are enjoying them.

We had our second service at Kou Kadishaw last Sunday. There were near 20 in attendance. It went pretty well. I was a little surprised though when it came time for the message. I understood that 2 of the girls were going to take turns and Shadrack would be helping them come up with the scriptures. But when the time came they all looked at me. So, being the flexible missionary that I am I jumped up and shared a brief message on the passage of scripture I had studied that morning. Giving an inmpromptu sermon in your own language can be tough enough but in another language is kinda scary. But it was fine. My plan for this church is to attend every other week. If they are going to make this work it will be without me so I don't want them to depend on me so much that when I leave in October things will fall apart.

Thursday night we will be going to show the Creation to Revelation film there. So keep them in your prayers that hearts would be open and prepared to receive the message of the Bible. We need men in this church! The oldest males in our group our still in high school.

La Kwa really needs your prayers. Things are starting up very slowly. People in this area are not very trustful of us or their neighbors. Just imagine how guarded you would be if you had the Mormons or Catholics coming to your neighborhood every other week when you feel content in your own doctrine. That's kind of how it feels for them. Most enjoy being Catholics especially with the freedom it gives them to serve voodoo and still feel the "protection" of God and the church. We know that it is false hope and protection but their eyes are closed to this truth right now.

I'm giving a little heads up that we will be heading to PAP to take Kathy to the airport in the 24th or so and will be back there again at the end of June to fly to the DR for a meeting. So if you want to send me some real mail I'll be glad to hear from you and won't have to wait too long to get it:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home