Friday, May 26, 2006

This week I've been here all alone- except for my guard and neighborhood folks. Sam, Delores and Tinana went to PAP to send Kathy off and attend the graduation of a friend who has just completed seminary. The week has gone by fine, no problems. The first time I stayed here alone was for just one night and it got kinda scary but now, I'm not scared at all. It helps knowing Creole so much better.

Today I had a first. We are always giving people rides when we go into town or classes but no one has ever given me a ride (except my post-wreck motorcycle ride with my broken leg!). Today I had just left our driveway and a UN truck with 2 Chilean officers stopped and offered me a ride. I thought that was pretty nice. It's funny though because our roads are so bumpy that you can't really talk because of all the noise. This is made harder when at least one person in the conversation isn't speaking in their first language.

One particular day recently in the "Voices of the Faithful" devotional it was talking about a missionary who had given a ride to someone and led them to Christ. So I was especially aware of this opportunity to share. I was headed back to our house and had dropped off everyone in the truck except for the lady sitting up front with me. I started trying to talk to her and realized I couldn't understand 80% of what she was saying. She started talking and talking and I just nodded and smiled and realized that this may not actually be the best time or place for me to share!

So anyway, the reason I was out walking today is because I was going to my friend Natasha's house. She is the one who has the cute little girls in the pictures below. Most of you who know me know that I have a hard time saying "No" to people when they ask me to do things. This is one of those many cases. Natasha wants me to help her brainstorm ways that she can help orphans in our area attend school and have a little food. So now we are meeting- her, myself, her husband and a pastor who works with World Vision. Today Natasha wanted us each, herself included, to talk to 5 people about helping her with these kids. We don't have to actually commit anyone to helping, just share with them. I don't know too many Haitians who would be willing to help (okay, I probably don't know any). So I wanted to use this resource to fill my obligations. This is not coming from Lindsey "The Missionary". This is coming from Lindsey "Someone who Lives in Haiti". Got it? This isn't something I need, or anything that has to do with my work. It's just me helping a good Christian friend out. However, I was thinking that it is almost VBS time. If you thought this might be a good project for your VBS just let me know and I can tell you a little more. At the moment she is trying to help 4 orphaned boys who are living with their grandmother. I am not trying to obligate anyone, at all. I am just putting the idea on the table, in case anyway is interested, because Natasha is a friend and I believe in her and that's what you do for friends, right? And remember... prayer is more important than money.

I hope that everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend! Grill a hamburger for me and I'll send some of my 96 degree weather your way!

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep Natasha and the orphans in my prayers. P.S. You did a good job sending the hot weather here for Memorial Day!
Love, Gin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home