Johnny Cash
Well, I sure never thought I would visit the home of Muslims and bond over Johnny Cash but that's just what I did. I went with Gary and Brenda to visit with a couple named Zyde and Sheri Ann and their family. Let me tell you a little about them. They are Muslims, yet allowed a group from the US to host a Backyard Bible Club at their house despite any persecution that may come from their Muslim or Hindu neighbors. They are funny and welcoming and I really enjoyed them. I could tell that they loved visiting and were glad I had come. So anyway, Zyde asked me what kind of music I listened to and I told him a lot of Christian music but I also like country. Well, Zyde loves old country and immediately asked me about Johnny Cash. Then he decided that he wanted to send me home with some CDs to listen to. He said he usually didn't loan them out because he wouldn't get them back but he would loan them to me. Then his son said, "If you like them be sure and keep them." Sounds just like and 18-year-old who doesn't like their parents' music.
But yesterday the son came over to visit. I was playing my guitar for him and I'd played several good Christian songs but I thought I'd play some country music too. So I started off with the song "Jimmy, Please Say You'll Wait for Me." I don't know if that's what it's called but if you've heard it you'll know. Conway Twitty sings it as well as a few others. As soon as I started singing this Muslim teenage started singing along with me. I thought it was funny! Of all the things to bond over! Maybe he really did like his Dad's music.
I just thought that was funny and that I'd share it with you.

1 Comments:
that's awesome! johnny cash rocks. I can loan walk the line to you if you would like it. I think you might be building a bridge here?...
let me know.
Post a Comment
<< Home