Saturday, October 07, 2006

Safe and sound in Trinidad

I could not begin to tell you all the things that have happened in the last
5 days! These have been some of the craziest travel experiences I have ever
had. But I am here and that's what is important. I learned several lessons
on my trip that I may be able to articulate into an update later. But for
today I just want to assure everyone that I made it safely.

The plans have been adjusted. I'm living out of a suitcase for the moment
but I'll soon get to settle in. Yesterday was my first day in the country.
I went to the grocery and got to go to a local church and talk with some
girls in the youth group about dating. The people here are more beautiful
than I had ever imagined. The English is so crazy sounding. It's kind of
hard to understand but it's pretty.

I was sad to learn that crime is pretty rampant here. The missionaries
don't even feel comfortable with me out running in the neighborhood alone.
This is a big prayer request for me. Living in the city isn't ideal for me,
you know I am a country girl. And I have gotten to love my time out alone
running in the mornings. It refreshes me and keeps me in shape. Not being
able to run alone will wear on me. But one of the missionaries I am staying
with for the moment is a runner so I'll be able to run with him some.

We are talking about me using a car that was bought for some other
missionaries. I need a few days to adjust though. Drivers here are crazy-
and they drive on the left side of the road. So please be in prayer for
this also. Independance is important for me.

But the missionaries here have been wonderful and accomadating. (They
didn't give up hope for me when I wasn't able to leave the airport until
long after everyone else from my plane had left!) And they are glad to have
me here with them.

Sometime soon I feel like I'll have to write about my travel experience but
I'll need more time to write about that than I have at the moment! (One of
the biggest highlights was getting to go to Wal-Mart. I was so excited. I
just couldn't say good-bye without saying that! It was a treat!)

Anyway, that's all for now. Please be praying for me and my adjustment. We
have a long way to go on being ready for this Cricket Match and a lot that
needs to get done SOON. It's all pretty crazy. Please pray we would get
everything going or completed in the Lord's timing.

Blessings to you all,
Lindsey

_________________________________________________________________
Be seen and heard with Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft LifeCams
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/default.mspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline

3 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm SOOOO glad you made it!! Tell our friends hello for me!! I will continue to be praying for you as you are adjusting to this new culture... My sister spent a summer there and fell in love with the people and the music- the steel drums are amazing! She brought us all back 'tapes'- if that tells you how long ago it was!! Love ya girl... AND if you ever want to come to Mexico... PLEASE COME!! I'll be here till around June 07. :)

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger emily said...

glad you made it safely.

keep us updated as you have time.

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are safe! Looking forward to reading your many adventures! Praying for you!

Kara Camp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home