Saturday, April 23, 2005

Saturday Update

I got underway with a new English class in Savanne Platt where we are already working on the water project and doing storying. Several people were very interested in a class and had been asking if I would do one. I told them that we could do it on Fridays after we worked making it around 2 o'clock. But this Friday it had rained. We had to ride horses and couldn't get any work done so I just rode around and rounded people up pulling them out of their gardens. It is nice, I guess, having people so flexible with their time. You won't see too many day planners around here! We started at 11 with our regular Bible story and then I did an English class with about 20 people. I am using Children's Bible stories and translating them into Creole. I told Sam and Delores I felt like I was on a crusade to teach them how to think. They would prefer word-for-word translations but I was translating whole sentences. Then I would ask them to try to match the Creole word to the English word. This is quite a new concept for them and they were having a hard time but with my prodding I pulled some out of them. They learn by rote, as I've mentioned, and it is very hard for them to grasp simple stories and problems like we could. I want them to be able to take a Bible story and figure out what it means to us in real life and the applications. But of course, crusades aside, my main motivation is to share the Bible with people who havn't heard it and encourage those who have. So please be in prayer for my little class that we will have non-Christians come and hear Bible stories. Pray that their hearts would be inclined to learn more about the Bible and God's love and salvation for us.

I learned that my aunt Jenny, my dad's step-sister passed away last night. Please continue to pray for her mom and dad, her sister, kids, and her husband.

I am getting things ready to go to our English class in Thomonde in a little bit. I have the story of creation to share with them today so I had better get going. I can't leave in my pj's!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home