Friday, May 12, 2006

The Facts Are In.

The results of the first Haiti census in the last 24 years reveal that:

*The unemployment rate is 33 percent
*Half of Haiti's population is under 20 years old
*49% of the country's children are not enrolled in school
*Haiti, which is slightly smaller than Maryland, has a population of 8.4 million
*It is forecasted that 10 million people will inhabit the country by 2010
*At 4-5% Haiti has the highest HIV/AIDS prevalence rate in the Western Hemisphere
*1 out of 8 children die before they reach the age of five
*1 out of 14 children die before their first birthdays
*Fertility rate: 4 children per woman
*Life expectancy: 56 years (women) and 53 years (men)
*Demographic density: 302 inhabitants per square kilometre

I am confused about the unemployment rate because in our area almost no one has jobs. I would have a hard time figuring out who the 67% is that has jobs. Everyone here is substinance farmers, meaning they grow just enough to feed their family but not enough for profit. From these results I can see that my area is on the lower, poorest end of the numbers countrywide. None of these numbers are worse than I would have thought for here but many are better. For example, in our area the fertility rate seems much higher than 4 children per woman. But it is always interesting to see the hard facts. You can't argue with numbers, right? When you dedicate a country to Satan there is no doubt that he will make it his playground!

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting facts. Sounds like you are really right where you belong.
I am a friend of Melva Hatcher, your grandmother's friend, and I live in Murray, KY. I enjoy your BLOGs. I have made you a birthday card, but seems I have lost your address. Can you send it to me. Linda Clark
clark@wkblue.net

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Kari said...

That's interesting that the HIV rate is that high....Uganda's is only like 6% (or so they say). It seems a lot higher than that to me, but maybe it's cause I work with it everyday. I know what you mean about your questions of the demographics...half of what is reported here in Uganda I think is a lie. Probably to try to make it look better than it is. Who knows...Hang in there friend...we're nearing the finishline :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home