Friday, July 07, 2006

Our First Prayerwalk

I wanted to report on our first prayerwalk yesterday in Kou Kadishaw. Overall it was a success. But Satan was fighting us, I could feel it. First of all, when I got there with Jauchim, a Haitian pastor working with us, there was no one there. This is the group that is always there early and starts singing before I arrive even when when I get there early. But slowly they started to come even though we were still down in numbers. Secondly, I have a cold and was tired because of it. And all the talking made me about loose my voice. And I wasn't the only one not feeling well. Mita, the lady who lives where we do the class came but was also feeling terrible. And I found out that day that Gerta, one of our promising teenage girls is now forbidden by her parents to return to our meetings. When we sang some opening story songs you could tell by the way they sang that they were discouraged. But we pushed on. The lesson went well. I did most of the talking since I had been studying, preparing and praying for this class all week. But Jauchim and Shadrack also spoke some.

All-in-all I would say that the Haitians took to prayerwalking like a fish takes to water. They seemed a little intimidated at first but they set out in pairs or groups of 3. I stayed under our tree with Mita and we prayed for the group as they walked. They agreed that I should stay because of the attention that I draw. We didn't want it to distract from their prayers. They came back 20 minutes later than the time we set and they were singing and so encouraged. They were excited about the people that had allowed them to pray for them. I think that this is going to start a trend. Let me rephrase that, "I pray that this is going to start a trend!" One of the ladies said "I like prayerwalking. That is the best work that we have ever done!" So that was another good sign.

Another good blessing of the day is that for the first time since we started almost a year ago Mita's "husband" came! This is the man that she had to run away from a few months ago because she was so scared of him. He came with a Bible in his hand and was really paying attention. So that is definitely a blessing and something that I am sure Mita has been praying for for a long time! Pray the Lord would work in his heart and change him. Mita told me that he has no interest in marrying her even though he fathered her children because he has other "madams" as well. Pray God would help him see the error of his ways and how it hurts his family and then give him the determination and courage to do what is right.

Next week we will continue to talk about prayer walking as I really only scratched the surface yesterday. Pray with me that this will take off like wildfire and that Kou Kadishaw will no longer be just a village on a hill but a light on a hill because of the Lord's Presence in that place. I want to stop with nothing short of a great revival. Pray the church would receive the vision to be the leaders of this revival.

1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad your first prayer walk got off to a good start! This must be very exciting for you and I pray that it will continue to grow.
Mammy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home