Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Nativity

Tuesday night I was asked to play guitar for a group of elementary school carolers for Friday (last) night. I only knew 2 Christmas songs. So in the last 3 days I learned 9 more. I was ready to go. But at the last minute we got a call saying that caroling was cancelled. I would have enjoyed it but I was a little worried about the whole playing-guitar-while-walking thing so I wasn't too disappointed.

Since caroling was cancelled we decided to go to the movies to see "The Nativity". I am not real big on going to the movies, I usually wait for the DVD. But this is a must-see before Christmas. I really really liked it. I don't think I have to worry about ruining the story for you since I am sure you are familiar with it:) But I want to say that one of the things I liked best about it was how the story became a love story between Joseph and Mary. The way their characters were developed you couldn't help but fall in love with them. It was a beautiful film.

On the subject of nativities... on the way home we drove past the big Hindu temple here. (Well, I don't know if it's a temple exactly but it's a big building with Hindu decorations where they had the big Divali celebrations.) Oddly enough they had a big lighted nativity scene outside of the building. How wierd is that? I said that I was sure glad that none of the Christian churches put up Hindu decorations during Divali! The people here are proud that they are "accepting" of their blend of religions and everyone gets along. But to me it's watered down religion in the extreme. I want to love people of other religions but I will never accept their religion. I wrote a letter to an editor here to this effect. She had written a article on all the different religious influences here she had growing up and how they were basically the same. One of the things I said was that, as a "religious" person, if you accept another religion as truth you are forfieting the idea that your religion is true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home