Shine, Jesus, Shine

I was reading some of my friends' blogs today and thinking about their impressions on readjusting to American culture. I was trying to think about what I would miss most. I think the biggest thing I will miss is the people and their genuine friendliness and love for me. This applies to the Haitians and Trinidadians. I just arrived in Trinidad in October and yet I was given 2 Christmas presents. One was a silver ring and one was a light-up, red-blinking, metallic Jesus. Both were unique gifts from the heart and were given from people who didn't have that much to give. But they gave anyway and were glad to do it. There was nothing in Haiti that would make me feel more special and loved than when I was given a gift. It took on new meaning. A family that is hungry all the time and struggles with their 9 kids would give me a whole stalk of plantains, or a family of 7 would give me a little sack with 5 valuable eggs. These people gave not out of excess or duty but out of love and sacrifice. They showed me what it meant to act like Jesus. I hope you enjoy the picture of my Jesus. I even caught Him with his lights on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home