Sunday, October 23, 2005

Rainy Sunday

I hate it when this happens. I get a nice long blog written out and then it sends it into the great unknown and never shows up on my site. But I’ll try writing it again…

Friday Sam went to the first Chronological Bible storying class in Karfou Alexi (where I had been doing an ag class). There were about 25 there, which was good. Sam said that most of them were church members already but were none-the-less excited about learning more about the Bible. Even the creation story seemed new and exciting to them. They also really enjoyed learning the storying song that goes along with the lesson. I guess because of the low literacy rate the Haitians (around here, at least) are not very familiar with their Bible.

Having Janes doing a grafting series for my ag class has been good for me. It has taken the pressure off of me to prepare something, for a few weeks at least. (I still prepare a scripture to study but I enjoy that a lot.) It is also a good lesson in American versus Haitian learning and teaching styles. Janes, in his very slow handwriting, has to write every word on the board and each student that could write had to copy each and every word onto paper. This is our second class and we only covered the importance of trees and the tools needed for grafting. An American would probably be offended at the elementary level of teaching but the Haitians are very patient and seem to need it. I know when our neighbor was trying to teach me grafting I thought “Does he think that I am totally ignorant because I am a girl or what?” But the way he was teaching me is the same way that Janes is teaching these students. I guess I take a lot for granted. Hopefully this will help me teach at an appropriate level for Haitians. I just want to teach in whatever way they will learn the most.

If you have seen the weather lately you have probably seen the big red, circling cloud that is over Haiti. Don’t worry about me, though. We had steady, light rain from last night to this afternoon but little wind or problems. Now the rain has stopped, briefly at least. We didn’t go to church this morning because things really slow down around here in the rain. Few people have umbrellas and our church has no walls so it isn’t conducive to a worship service. I enjoyed praising the Lord in the comfort of my bed and pajamas and pray my Haitian neighbors also had a spirit of worship even though they couldn’t go to church.

I guess I will leave it at that. I don’t want to bore you. Thank you for checking in on me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home