Never Ride a Horse in Haiti Carrying a Chicken
I needed an interesting title and thought that one would get you hooked! This is what I learned Friday coming home from Savan Plat. I was getting a little frustrated on the way there that everyone seemed to think that "Ba'm..." was my middle name. That means "give me...". Everyone seemed to be asking for something. After an hour or so of this I get a little frustrated. On the way back I was given a chicken to give to Sam. (I was told that he knew about this but he really didn't so we don't know the deal on the chicken.) But I tell you, if it was bad on the way to Savan Plat it was worse on the way home! Everyone was yelling "Lindsey, Ba'm poul sa a." They were all yelling for me to give them the chicken. I don't think they really expected me to give it to them but they all thought it was fun to ask. But it sure wasn't too fun to me after the first dozen times! Some cultural differences are easier to get over than others. This is a hard one for me, especially by Fridays when I am worn out! But I did get to laughing thinking "How weird is this? I am living on a tropical island where it seems everyone knows my name. I am riding a horse all alone down a country road carrying a live chicken in my arms." God has an interesting sense of humor sometimes!
That aside I hope that everyone had a nice Thanksgiving Day! After a good Thanksgiving lunch I went to Kou Kadishaw for our storying class. I was counting my blessings when we had 30 people show up! Most of them had been before but it seemed like everyone came at the same time for once. And Shadrack, the Haitian leader, that hadn't been too regular, was there early and ready just like he has for the past 4 or 5 classes now. I am really excited about that. It was also great that we had so many on such a special day. We were talking about Jesus and Nichodemus. Jesus was telling Nichodemus about how one can be born again. It is also in their discussion that we find John 3:16. I told the story and then I told my testimony about how I was born again and baptized. Then Shaddrack shared his testimony and talked more about becoming a Christian. I was praying that someone would make a decision to ask Christ into their hearts and be baptized. No one said anything publicly but only God knows their hearts. We have to trust that His timing is perfect.
I am also thankful for some new older guys coming out to my English classes. It makes it even harder trying to put together a lesson that is suitable to everyone's level, but I am greatful that this avenue might be reaching those who otherwise wouldn't hear much about the gospel. I pray that these classes would make eternal differences amoung the Central Plateau.
I found an interesting but sad article on the web today about all the Haitians that are going to the Domincan Republic to work and how poorly they are being treated. Rascism is alive and well there it seems. I am going to be praying over this situation and how maybe I can make a difference there. Below is a link to the article if you want to read it. (You'll have to copy and paste it.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/20/international
/americas/20dominican.html?pagewanted=1
All other classes went well this week. We did some grafting practice, finally, in my ag class. Or I should say the students did some grafting while I took pictures and was eaten up by bugs! (Bugs aren't that bad here except around sunset.) Baseball was fun today. We read Psalm 139, one of my favorites, for our devotional and no one was hurt during the game. They are getting pretty good. I told Kerolin that she was undoubtably the best 11 year old girl player in the Central Plateau.
Sorry it's been so long since my last update. I've been staying busy. And am getting things ready to go without me for a couple weeks. I know things will go fine. Thanks for checking up on me. I always appreciate it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home