My Family's Visit
Well, we just heard via email that my Dad, Mammy and sister made it back home safely even though they missed one of their connections and only 1 of their 5 bags arrived in Nashville with them. But they think that they will have them by tonight. Mammy's first lost bag is still missing.
We had a busy week and I think they all left sufficiently tired. The day they got here we ate a quick Haitian lunch and went to Kou Kadishaw for a Bible study. Friday we experienced the big city of Hinche and all that it has to offer. Then that afternoon visited Savan Plat while Sam was doing road work in the area. Saturday we went to English class in Thomonde. That afternoon we made a big batch of mango jam and Mammy and Erin painted some neighbor girls' fingernails. Sunday we went to church in Marmont, near the house, hosted an English class and went to a local soccer game that was scheduled especially for us. (The funny part of that game was when Mom was knocked off her little camp stool by Tinana and one of her friends and got all the Haitians laughing.) Monday we rode horses over to Savan Plat where we ate a Haitian meal, in a Haitian home, cooked over their little fire on the ground. We were served rice and beans, chicken, fried sweet potatoes, fried plantians, and a spicy coleslaw. We ate inside their little home and I think everyone felt honored and full. They had borrowed to have chairs and utensils for us and had found some styrofoam plates. Yesterday Mom and I shipped everyone off in the little 6-seater airplane in Hinche. Then we went to my ag class in Karfou Lexi. Everyone stayed healthy until yesterday or so. But I ended up with a sore throat. By the time we got home from ag class I could barely talk and had started coughing. I guess I did more talking and singing than I was used to!
Today Mom and I were suppose to go to English class back in Savan Plat but we ended up staying home to rest. Sam was going to be back in the area doing road work so he got word to them that I can't come.
So... that the's overview of the week. I wish I could get everyone to write a little about what surprised them or that they liked but I don't know if they'd do that. I know Dad had fun passing out suckers and candy to the kids all week. Mom was excited to say that she road a horse even thought she had to ride first behind me and then behind Erin. She was also curious to see where we had our wreck last May. The road, nor the truck, aren't much better but we made it safely up and down:) I also know that everyone loved the Haitian food. In addition to the rice and beans we had pumpkin soup (Soup Jamou), okra sauce, and lots of fresh fruit like magoes, pineapple, passion fruit, corisol and cashima. They were all impressed with the hospitality of the Haitian people and how excited they were to meet them. Mom also wanted to add that she wonders how many times she has said "Bon jou" and "Bon swa," as you speak to almost everyone you pass or meet each day.
We took lots and lots of pictures but most weren't on my camera so I'll have to wait for them to email me some of the best ones to post later. I'll put up the few that I have. But it will probably be a while because on Friday Sam, Delores, Tinana, Mom and I will be headed to PAP. It's our turn to work at the mail co-op on Saturday. Mom will fly home on Monday morning and the rest of us will be flying to Santo Domingo for our Annual General Meeting. Thank you for all the prayers for a safe trip. We felt them all as we had a great week.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home