"Trini Talk"
I keep forgetting that I wanted to give you all a little example of why the English in Trinidad is so hard to understand. Here are a few things you might here people say:
"I told she she doh' nee' do dat but she no listen. She does what she wan."
(Him or her are rarely used and ts seem to fall to the wayside.)
"Are ya walkin' wit your Bible today?"
(They have their own expressions. For example, to "walk with" means to bring or carry.)
"Man, you could real do dat!"
(That would mean "You were really good at that!")
"You through yet?"
(They say this like the very minute you walk in a store. I am not sure why they say it but they are really just asking if you need any help or are finding what you need.)
I might think of some more I'll add later. I promise though that English here is very different from English in the states.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home