Sunday, May 21, 2006

Blessings, Blessings, Blessings

Today turned out to be a really good day! We were having another baptism at our house this morning but I had forgotten to tell my group in Kou Kadishaw and had promised I would be there. It’s about a 30-minute walk but I had my guitar plus my backpack with water, 2 Bibles, a stool and my hymnal. The sun was shining and by the time I got there I was so hot and sweaty. But I was so excited because as I was walking, I was praying for Seremid, the lady who was so faithful in coming at the beginning but hadn’t been there in a few months after running away from her abusive “husband” and leaving her 2 kids with her mom. As I topped the hill, still praying for a good solution for her, there she was! I didn’t ask anything about her story but she was glad to be back and we were glad to see her. I had arrived a few minutes early and there was already 20 or so gathered working on a memory verse. So I was in an extra good mood. When I left she walked me part of the way home and she said that while she was gone she always remembered our class. She said every Thursday at 2pm- while we would be having our class- she would get out her Bible and study. So that was sweet.

I was also very happy to see Ifonys, the mom of the baby that had died. We all gathered around her and sang and prayed during the service. Then after church we all walked over to house and prayed for the family. They asked me to read a Psalm and give the last benediction prayer. I read Psalm 139 and talked about how even if Ifonys wanted to stay in the dark, in her sadness and mourning, that God wouldn’t leave her there, that He would be there the whole time wanting and waiting to pick her up. I also pointed out how the chapter showed us that God had made that little girl and He knew her every little part. We don’t know why He took her away but we know that He never left her. I hope that was a comfort to them. Praying in Creole makes me about as nervous as anything, but in the prayer I asked God to be their comfort and to give them peace.

One of the songs that I sang with my guitar was “I Want to Know You More.” It starts out as “In the secret, in the quiet place, in the stillness you are there.” It talks about going into a place all alone and seeking to know, touch, hear, and see God. A few minutes after I sang Seremid got up to give the message. Her text was Matthew 6 where it talks about doing things in private so that God can see us and reward us rather than man. She pointed out that we shouldn’t pray to be seen by men but to be seen by God. It was just so cool had God had that all planned out. It was quite a blessing. God was so good to me today!

But that’s not all! As we were walking to Ifonys’s house to pray I reminded them that in 2 weeks it will be time to do the Lord’s Supper again. I asked if we were going to have any more baptized believers by then. FINALLY, I got a good response! There are finally people ready to be baptized. There were 2 or 3 especially that said that they were ready but I wouldn’t be surprised if more joined them. We decided to plan on June 4th as our baptism day so that we can baptize them and then be able to share in the Lord’s Supper on the same day. I am so excited and so ready for that day to get here! I can’t wait to see their big smiles as they go down to that water!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home