Monday, November 13, 2006

Right at Home

Sunday afternoon G and B started a new study in an area that made me feel right at home. That's not because it felt like KY but because it felt like Haiti. This area is very poor compared to the other places I have visited here. The kids had clothes really, really big or really small. I saw more than 1 skin infection or problem which seems common in unsanitary conditions. And they had no electricity or other ammenities. It would shock a lot of people but it takes a lot to shock me these days. I pulled out my camera to sneak some photos before we started but the batteries were dead. So I'll try again next week. The study went well. There were 12 there and only one went to church and he was just 10. Hopefully they will all be back next week!

That reminds me... I got to speak some Creole while on my way back from Miami. I heard it 3 or 4 times but I didn't get to speak to anyone until I was waiting to leave the airport. The Port au Prince gate was right beside mine and there was a Haitian family sitting right beside me. So I struck up a conversation. I can still speak it well it seems! Funny enough though- even though I haven't heard much Spanish since coming to Trinidad my Spanish kept wanting to creep in just like it did when I was first learning Creole. But this lady didn't seem to have any problem understanding me and I understood her pretty well. I need to keep practicing because I promised the church in Kou Kadishaw I would continue to write to them. It is going to get harder and harder as time passes. And I left my Creole dictionary in Haiti. Whoops.

Getting off the airplane in Port of Spain here in Trinidad I realized that it doesn't yet feel like home. I had been in Haiti for 6 months before I left for the first time. That was when I came back stateside with my broken leg. But when I arrived back in Haiti after 2 months in the states when the plane landed it felt like I was home and it did each of the other times I left the country. Maybe I just need some more time for Trinidad to feel like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home